Kyle J. Ortiz
Mr. Ortiz has experience in all aspects of complex business reorganizations and restructurings, from the preparation and filing of chapter 11 petitions, first day motions, and orders through the negotiation and confirmation of chapter 11 plans of reorganization and has represented debtors in numerous large chapter 11 cases, including: American Airlines, Inc.’s parent company AMR Corporation, Lehman Brothers Holdings, Inc., Endeavour Operating Corporation, and GT Advanced Technologies, Inc. Mr. Ortiz also has extensive experience representing creditors and lenders in out of court restructuring transactions. Additionally, Mr. Ortiz has experience representing creditors’ committees in complex chapter 11 reorganizations and liquidations, including the committees in Molycorp, Inc. and Montreal Maine & Atlantic Railway, Ltd.
Mr. Ortiz’s pro bono work has been recognized by both the Legal Aid Society and the New York State Bar Association.
Prior to beginning his legal career, Mr. Ortiz founded Operation ASHA in Cambodia, an arm of the worldwide tuberculosis treatment organization, Operation ASHA. Mr. Ortiz currently sits on the U.S. Board of Directors for Operation ASHA Worldwide.
Areas of Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- University of Chicago Law School, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 2009
- Honors: Edmund Spencer Scholar
- Harris School of Public Policy, University of Chicago
- M.P.P. - 2006
- Northern Michigan University
- B.S. - 2004
- Honors: Outstanding Graduating Male
- Honors: Student Body President
- Honors: Student Commencement Speaker
Past Employment Positions
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP