Mr. Marecki provides efficient and practical advice to debtors, creditors, and other parties in interest in corporate restructurings both in and out of court.
Patrick Marecki has represented a wide range of domestic and foreign clients including debtors, creditors' committees, trustees, secured and unsecured creditors, and institutional lenders in connection with chapter 11 and chapter 15 cases, avoidance actions, and bankruptcy-related litigation. Mr. Marecki is an experienced litigator and has served as trial counsel for clients in bankruptcy, federal, and state courts.
Mr. Marecki also has extensive litigation experience outside of bankruptcy court. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Marecki represented clients in a variety of complex commercial litigations, including securities regulation, corporate and international law, and various governmental investigations and inquiries by the Securities and Exchange Commission, Department of Justice, Commodity Futures Trading Commission, State Attorneys General, and numerous European and Asian regulators.
- Rubie’s Costume Company, Inc.: Co-counsel to the debtors, the world’s largest designer, manufacturer, and distributor of costumes and related accessories with manufacturing and distribution operations in fifteen countries and revenue of approximately $300 million; obtained $45 million in DIP financing following a 2-day evidentiary trial.
- LATAM Airlines: Co-counsel to the debtors, Latin America’s leading airline group, in its chapter 11 bankruptcy cases filed in May 2020.
- Trident Holding Company, LLC: Co-counsel to the debtors, the leading national provider of bedside diagnostic and related services in the United States operating in 35 states, in the restructuring of approximately $700 million in liabilities; conducted an investigation by the debtors’ independent director into potential estate claims and causes of action that the debtors may possess under chapter 5 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Synergy Pharmaceutical: Co-counsel to the debtors, biopharmaceutical companies focused on the development and commercialization of novel gastrointestinal therapies. The debtors consummated a chapter 11 restructuring through a section 363 sale of a majority of their assets to Bausch Health within four months.
- Pacific Drilling: Counsel to the debtors, which specialize in ultra-deep water drilling for a myriad of the largest oil and gas companies in the world, in the restructuring of more than $3 billion in liabilities.
- Westinghouse: Counsel to Toshiba Nuclear Energy Holdings (UK) Limited, one of the debtors and the parent company of the international arm of Westinghouse’s global nuclear power business, in connection with the restructuring of over $9 billion in debt between Toshiba Nuclear Energy Holdings (UK) Limited and the 31 other Westinghouse debtors.
- Aeropostle, Inc.: Counsel to the debtors, a teen clothing retail chain of more than 800 stores involving the restructuring of approximately $260 million in liabilities. Co-counsel to Plan Administrator post confirmation.
- SunEdison, Inc.: Co-counsel to the debtors, one of the world's leading developers of renewable-energy solutions, involving the restructuring of more than $16 billion in liabilities.
- Corporate Resource Services, Inc.: Counsel to chapter 11 trustee in cases involving $100 million tax fraud by professional employer organization; commenced and litigated fraudulent transfer actions, which have so far resulted in recoveries of approximately $10 million.
- Vitro: Counsel to the debtors in nearly $4 billion Chapter 15 case; cross-examined expert witness at trial, argued Daubert motion, and took and defended depositions.*
- Regulatory Investigations: Responded to various governmental investigations and inquiries, negotiated with domestic and foreign regulators, and conducted witness interviews in connection with international financial institution regulatory matters.*
*Denotes experience while at a prior firm
- American Bankruptcy Institute
Awards / Recognition
- New York Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2013 - 2016
- New York, 2006
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2006
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Vanderbilt University Law School, Nashville, Tennessee
- J.D. - 2005
- Honors: Dean's List
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- B.A. - 2002
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: With Distinction
- Major: Political Science
- Milbank LLP, Associate
- Baker Botts LLP, Associate