Ms. Scott provides efficient and practical advice to debtors, creditors, and other parties-in-interest in corporate restructurings both in and out of court.
Ms. Scott's practice is focused on debtor and creditor representations in complex corporate restructuring matters, chapter 11 cases, and related litigation. Ms. Scott has been a member of teams representing debtors in a number of high profile chapter 11 cases including: LATAM Airlines Group, S.A., The McClatchy Company, Aurora Commercial Corp., Trident Holding Company, LLC, and Toisa Limited. Ms. Scott has also represented creditors, trustees, and other parties-in-interest in connection with chapter 11 cases (including post-confirmation matters) and chapter 7 cases.
While in law school, Ms. Scott was a Judicial Intern for the Honorable Sean H. Lane, Bankruptcy Judge for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York. She also worked as a Law Clerk for Togut, Segal & Segal LLP during law school and, upon graduation, joined the firm as an Associate.
- LATAM Airlines: Co-counsel to the debtors, Latin America’s leading airline group, in its chapter 11 bankruptcy cases filed in May 2020.
- The McClatchy Company: Co-counsel to the debtors, a 163-year-old family-controlled public company that provides independent local journalism to 30 communities in 14 states through its local newspapers, including well-respected publications such as the Miami Herald, The Kansas City Star, The Sacramento Bee, The Charlotte Observer, The (Raleigh) News & Observer, and the (Fort Worth) Star-Telegram, as well as national news coverage through its Washington, D.C. bureau, in restructuring approximately $1.6 billion in debt.
- Trident Holding Company, LLC: Co-counsel to the debtors, the leading national provider of bedside diagnostic and related services operating in 35 states, in the restructuring of approximately $700 million in liabilities.
- Toisa Limited: Counsel to the debtors, 24 international shipping companies, in chapter 11 case involving 46 vessels and the restructuring of more than $1 billion in liabilities.
- Aurora Commercial Corp.: Counsel to the Debtors, two indirect wholly owned subsidiaries of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc., in connection with their chapter 11 cases and wind-down.
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation, Member, Present
- Turnaround Management Association, Member, Present
- New York City Bar Association, Member, Present
Katharine E. Scott
- New York, 2019
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York
- J.D. - 2018
- Honors: Dean's Merit Award
- University of California, San Diego
- B.A. - 2013
- Honors: Provost Honors
- Major: Political Science
- Hon. Sean H. Lane, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York, Judicial Intern