Mr. Shaughnessy advises debtors, creditors, and other parties-in-interest concerning restructurings both in and out of court. An experienced trial lawyer and commercial litigator, he always seeks the most efficient and practical approach to solving disputes on behalf of his clients.
Mr. Shaughnessy has more than fourteen years of experience in complex commercial and business litigation defending and prosecuting numerous claims in New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and other state, federal, and appellate courts. Representative matters include issues arising under the federal bankruptcy, ERISA, RICO, HIPAA, securities, and antitrust laws, matters involving employment disputes, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty issues, and numerous other common law issues, as well as various regulatory and corporate governance issues.
- Secured DIP financing on behalf of one of the world’s largest costume companies after two-day trial in E.D.N.Y.
- Representing LATAM Airlines and its debtor-affiliates in multi-billion-dollar bankruptcy proceedings in S.D.N.Y.
- Represented a creditors’ committee in a multi-hundred-million-dollar fraudulent conveyance action.*
- Advised a creditors’ committee regarding adequate protection issues in connection with bankruptcy proceedings of multi-billion-dollar oil and gas company.*
- Advised a leading monoline insurance company in a multi-billion-dollar fraudulent conveyance action.*
- Secured victory on behalf of a 3D printer company in a three-week jury trial in Massachusetts federal court, concerning a patent dispute.*
- Obtained complete victory via arbitration, including payment by the losing party of all litigation expenses, in connection with contract dispute.*
- Represented certain insurers, investors, and trustees in several multi-hundred-million-dollar RMBS fraud and loan repurchase actions in Connecticut federal court and New York state court.*
- Co-Author with Gregg Weiner, Heather Sprague, and Caitlin Giaimo "The Duty to Supplement Expert Reports: Parts 1 and 2", Law 360, January, 2017
- "Legal Ethics and Human Dignity, Cambridge Studies and Human Dignity" (acknowledged as contributor), 2007
- "Torture’s Truth" (assisted), 72 University of Chicago Law Review, 881-918, 2005
Awards / Recognition
- New York Super Lawyer – Rising Stars, 2015 - 2017
Brian F. Shaughnessy
- New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 2006
- Harvard University
- B.A. - 2001
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: American History
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP