Mr. Berger provides efficient and practical advice to debtors, creditors, committees, trustees, fiduciaries, retirees, litigation parties, and other parties in interest in corporate restructurings both in- and out-of-court.
Since joining the firm in 1993, Mr. Berger has specialized in bankruptcy law representing the interests of debtors, creditors' committees, retirees' committees, trustees, individual creditors and other parties in interest in connection with chapter 11 cases (including post-confirmation matters) and chapter 7 cases. Mr. Berger has been named a New York Super Lawyer every year since 2009 and has frequently lectured and written on topics under the Bankruptcy Code.
- In re Corporate Resource Services, Inc., 603 B.R. 888, 2019, Bankr. S.D.N.Y.
- In re Chowaiki & Co. Fine Art Ltd., 593 B.R. 699, 2018, Bankr. S.D.N.Y.
- In re 199 East 7th Street LLC, No. 17-CV-545 (RA), WL 2226592, at *1 , 2017, S.D.N.Y.
- In re S.W. Bach & Company, 435 B.R. 866, 2010, Bankr. S.D.N.Y.
- In re Teligent, Inc., aff'd, 326 B.R. 219, 2005, S.D.N.Y.
- In re Teligent, Inc., 306 B.R. 752, 2004, Bankr. S.D.N.Y.
- Teligent, Inc. v. Cigna Healthcare, Inc., 324 B.R. 479, 2005, S.D.N.Y.
- Adiel v. Pharmacy Fund, Inc. (In re Pharmacy Fund, Inc.), No. 00 Civ. 3273 (DLC) WL 1206742 , 2000, S.D.N.Y.
- In re de Kleinman, 923 F. Supp. 24 , 1996, S.D.N.Y.
- In re I. Burack., Inc., 132 B.R. 814, 1990, Bankr. S.D.N.Y.
- In re Mandukich, 87 B.R. 296, 1988, Bankr. S.D.N.Y.
- "Constructive Fraudulent Transfer Claims Under § 548", American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, Vol. XXXIII, No. 5, May, 2014
- "Gaps in the Section 546(e) Safe Harbor for 'Settlement Payments' and Transfers (and Obligations) Related to Securities Contracts" , Norton Bankruptcy Law Adviser, July, 2011
- "Has Notice Pleading Been Given Notice? Pleading Preferences After Twombly and Iqbal", Thomson Reuters/West's, Norton Bankruptcy Law Adviser, 2010
- "Avoiding Fraudulent Transfers In Business Transactions. Navigating Today's Environment - The Directors' and Officers' Guide to Restructuring", BeardGroup, Globe White Page Ltd, 2010
- “Recent Developments – Section 546(e) Safe Harbor – Has the Second Circuit Taken Away a Bankruptcy Court’s Traditional Ability to Consider Substance Over Form?” , Moderators: Neil Berger and William Rochelle. Panelists: Ronit Berkovich, Michael Cook, Kenneth Ziman, Bloomberg Law Center, October, 2011
- New York State Bar Associations, Member
- American Bar Associations, Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Turnaround Management Association, Member
- INSOL International, Member
- The Barry Zaretsky Roundtable, Member
Awards / Recognition
- New York Super Lawyer
- New York, 1986
- Connecticut, 1988
- New Jersey, 1986
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1986
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1986
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, 1988
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 1992
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1987
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2009
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York
- J.D. - 1985
- Honors: Moot Court Honor Society
- Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts
- B.S. - 1981